Friday, October 22, 2010

Does Premarital Sex Increase Risk for Extramarital Sex?

Research suggests that contemporary Americans are growing more and more accepting of premarital sex.  As social mores around sex become more relaxed, people view premarital sex as part of the dating process.  Even the most conservative, while not in full agreement, have become accustomed to the notion that sex occurs before marriage for the majority of the population.


Although chastity belts may have loosened, most will agree that extramarital affairs are a no-no.  With widespread media attention on the extramarital affairs of celebrities, athletes and political figures, society shakes a condescending finger at infidelity.  Also, unknown to many are laws in some states that not only view infidelity as illegal, but can make an unfaithful partner and/or third party liable for damages.    

What may be most shocking is how the two relate.  Some research associates the rise in marital infidelity to the widespread practice of premarital sex.  Researchers purport that numerous relationships and sexual partners before marriage can relate to an individuals' propensity to be unfaithful once married.  Having many partners before marriage makes monogamy difficult as we have become used to being with more than one person.

  

          

4 comments:

  1. you're back! :-)

    and this is an interesting topic, one i will explore further...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am back. I decided to give another try and hopefully I can get more support this time.
    Thank you for your consistent support of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear writer
    I appreciate you so much because I was totally confused about values and dis-values when I came to South Korea which is following and imitating US culture and Premarital sex is becoming a very common thing for boys and girls as an important part of every friendship. But in my country(Iran) it is still deemed as not acceptable of the majority of people. You returned me my values again.
    Gamsahammida(Thank You)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Writer
    I appreciate u for returning me my values again because I was totally confused about my values and dis-values when I came to South Korea and found Premarital sex as an important part of friendship. In my country it is still deemed not acceptable for the majority of people.
    Best Reagrds

    ReplyDelete